10 speed Road Ranger INSTALLED!

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

etinhidesert

10 speed Road Ranger INSTALLED!

Post by etinhidesert »

My Dad and Mom drove out from Laughlin this morning, and with his help, hoisted the 10 speed up into the bus. With just a chain hoist, it took a little adjusting to get the angles just right, but when it was ready , it slipped in like it knew where to go. All that is left is to plumb in an air supply to the regulator and hook up the range selector air lines, and shorten the driveline by an inch and a half.

Next part of the project is to rough out the new window frames.

Elden in Hesperia
Griff
~(G)Q

Re: 10 speed Road Ranger INSTALLED!

Post by Griff »

etinhidesert wrote:. . .it slipped in like it knew where to go. . .
Nice! I hope the rest of the installation goes as well for you. Got any pics?
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Another one done! Gary Stadler down in San Deigo did this swap and he told me that he had to so some machine work to the flywheel/clutch on his Crown to get it all together. Did you find any "gotchas" in the conversion? I think he also said that he changed over the shift linkage and rods, but this may have been optional.

If my bus ever makes it to the open road, this is what I'll need to do also. That and probably swap out the rear axles for something higher ratio.
roasting8

Post by roasting8 »

Hey Sharkey, there was one guy that swapped his rear end gears by changing his carrier. He went from a 4.88 to a 3.90.

Here's a link to his thread, on the Bustropolis forum:

http://www.bustropolis.com/forum/viewtopic.html?t=576
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

I converted the tranny from a "Pull" clutch type to the "Push" type that was used on the old 5 speed. The cost was $70.00 versus almost $1000.00 for a new double disk set-up and new flywheel. This should last me for quite a few years before I wear out the clutch disk and have to convert because the older 17" disk may not be available. I got lucky also because the throwout bearing carrier from the old tranny fit and works on the new set up.

I was working against the clock to get this done while my dad was here, so no pictures. It was also dark when we started which would have been hard to get good ones. I was surprised it went together so smooth as we were working in the dark and mud (bus was parked in a "dip" to give more ground clearance, but also gathered a lot of water when it rained last week). If I get a chance 12/22 I take some.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11647142@N07/2129686501/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11647142@N07/2130462216/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11647142@N07/2130453222/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11647142@N07/2130459286/

Merry Christmas to all,

Elden in Hesperia
Last edited by etinhidesert on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:21 am, edited 26 times in total.
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

I took some pictures and added them as an "Edit"...should be available for viewing now. Once you access the pictures, you can browse the other work I have done to the front end air vent.

Elden in Hesperia
etinhidesert

It Works!

Post by etinhidesert »

I got the drive line back from the shop on the way home from work and installed it. It was a little late for a test drive (11:30pm) but what the heck. Drives and shifts as I thought it would, no noises, and the old cummins seems to like it as well. Sometime tomorrow will be some fuel, tie up some loose wires and hoses, safety wire the shift rod u-joints, and put it on the freeway and let it roll! :D

Elden in Hesperia
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Well, I'm jealous!
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

don't be jealous, just get a 13 speed!!
etinhidesert

jealous?

Post by etinhidesert »

Don't be too jealous....I backed the bus down the driveway so I could grease the zerts, check the brakes, and do a final inspection of all the nuts and bolts involved in the change over, and wouldn't you know it, the fuel pump lost its prime. My driveway is kinda steep and I also think the draw pipe in the fuel tank became un-ported (tank near empty). After putting in 5 gallons of diesel, one can of starting fluid, and several hours of work, still nothing. I think I will let the battery charger sit over night, get more fuel in the morning, and try again.

Elden
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

Sharkey wrote:If my bus ever makes it to the open road, this is what I'll need to do also.
If? That's very dissapointing. I know it has been a long project, but you'll get her on the road one day. Have faith in yourself!

-Richard
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

I finally got the bus off of the driveway....it was the pump losing the prime. Since then I have put about 100 miles on the new set-up. Calibrated the speedometer to the new gearing. So far, it will run 72 MPH on flat road, 65 MPH slight rolling hills, and pull Cajon Pass on the I-15 35-40 MPH (at least I am passing trucks).

You should have seen the look on the California Highway Patrolman's face when a big, yellow, three axle Crown passed him doing 70!

Elden in Hesperia
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

72 MPH, that's pretty cool, what gear ratio & tire size does your bus have? At 72 MPH what is your RPM?
My gillig is a three axle with a cummins 290 & a 10 speed, but it only runs 63 MPH @ 2100 RPM with 12r22.5 tires. I would love to do 72!
Last edited by Jones'n4chrome on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

Most of the standard installs of the 10 speeds were RT-910 being a direct drive ratio (1:1). I converted mine to an RTO-910 that has an overdrive ratio....thats where I picked up the 10 or so miles per hour. To be honest, I never determined what my rear axle ratios are.

The main purpose of getting the overdrive was for fuel economy. I won't be able to tell if I was successful until I put in a full tank of fuel. That my be a while.....I need to save up for it!

Elden in Hesperia
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Thanks, That's a good setup you have for top speed and economy. I don't mind going 63, but 72 is better. I just don't want to go slower, with 12r22.5 tires it's ok, but if I have to switch to 11r22.5 it will go slower. So did you get your trans out of a truck?