Vultures

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Vultures

Post by Rudy »

I not only found out about an interesting sight today, but I also saw them. Every year, around this time a whole bunch of Vultures roost on a few trees that are about 150 feet away from me.

I saw them today. I estimate that there are over 200. I will certainly get my camera out for some shots in the next few days. It is an amazing sight.

The question, now is, what do you call a bunch of Vultures? (Creepy?)
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I knew my lawyer was out of the state attending a convention of some sort, but I had no idea he was all the way over in Tenn. :D
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Sharkey, Not only are you amazingly brilliant, you are also one very funny guy.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I looked it up. A group of Vultures is called a venue or a committee. When they are circling in the air, they are known as a kettle.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Sharkey was closer then he thought about his lawyer! Did you ever hear of a change of venue in court? Or lawmakers (who are mostly lawyers) are always meeting in a commitee? And if they can, lawyers will always get your tail frying in a kettle. (Ok, frying pan- but it's close)
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I just went outside. It is dusk. I was thinking that them ugly creatures would be using the trees on the property. They are a half mile away. By the time I hiked there, it would be dark. I sure hope they come back here. I will keep a vigilant watch, and I will capture some awesome pictures, but not tonight.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Great, Your like Tenn's own Jack Hanna :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, I'm sure that must be a compliment, But I must admit that I don't know who Jack Hanna is.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

O, he has a pretty cool animal show on tv
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

That explains it. I haven't watched television in ten years.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I was assured that them creatures would come back to the trees that are close to me. Today, they again roosted on some trees about a quarter mile away on the next ridge. I google earthed the streets around here and realized that I would have to be going in to someone's back yard to get close to them. I did not want to do that.

So I took a few photos of them from far away. In this first photo, you'll see a tree near the center that has a bunch of black spots on it. That is about 75 of them roosting on that tree.

Another one.

I know it's not much, but I will keep an eye out for when they come back close to me, and then you will get the treat.