Music Central

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Well, considering that Rod Stewart, Linda Ronstat, Jimmy Buffett, Dr John the Night Tripper and even David Lee Roth are all doing covers of adult standards from the 1930's and 1940's, I'd guess John Lennon would be in retro mode.

Even Queen Latifah is getting into that genre...
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Hey Rudy, Somehow I bet you know these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquBlEN8jcs
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

That was cool stuff, Chuck. I don't know those guys, but I do know Bill Bifwinkle, and this two headed guitar player kicks butt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19XP8KjpWy8
Bob

Post by Bob »

Those guys were pretty cool! Maybe Rudy and I should start a band with them. We could call ourselves the Four Headsman or the More Head Is Better Band. We could start a new shampoo called "Heads and Shoulders"
Wherever I am...I am home.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Some of you have a couple of recordings of the band we had that was named Univox. Here are two pictures. The first one shows the core members. From left to right, it is Jamey, Rudy, Logan, Danno.

In this second picture, you see Logan, Rudy, Fran Kramer (guest), and Jamey. That night we played inside the shop where I used to work. Danno took the photo.

Last edited by Rudy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Now there’s a wholesome looking bunch. Hey, I see a set of vibes in pic 2. I have a good friend that is very well known and highly respected if the jazz world for piano and vibes. His name is Teddy Charles. There’s even some stuff on the web about him. I think he’s 84 or 85 and still has a 10 piece band or so packed in his living room on Wednesday night to blow off what steam he has left. :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Cool, Thanks Rudy. Why is the tip challis empty? :cry: Looks like fun.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I was looking at that thing on top of Logan's amp, and I don't know what it is. Even if it was a tip jar, there was nobody there to contribute.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Rudy wrote:I was looking at that thing on top of Logan's amp, and I don't know what it is. Even if it was a tip jar, there was nobody there to contribute.
If thats a bass amp, whatever it was, would have been unlikely to stay there long.
It took me several years of playing before I finally learnt the futility of putting anything on my amp, when I was playing.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

dburt

Post by dburt »

Man, I sure like that song!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

For a while, I was living in Los Angeles ( Hollywood, actually). A friend of a friend had already been living there. He was a drummer with steady gigs. I rented a room from him. He suggested that we go to a club called The Central on Sunset boulevard. On Tuesday nights they had a jam night.
Jam night consisted of electric instruments and drums and... There were many famous musicians who would frequent this jam. Before the jam got started, though, two folk musicians were allowed to sign in and play two songs apiece. For five weeks I went there and had not been called up to play yet.
The next week, I finally got called up. So I grabbed my big Guild 12 string and jumped on stage. I looked at the crowd and I said "Hi, folks, My name is Rudy Harley. I'm NOT going to play any Bob Dylan songs, I'm NOT going to play any Beatles songs, I'm NOT going to play any James Taylor or Jackson Brown songs either!!!!"
What I AM gonna do is kick butt on this 12 string guitar! So, I laid into a monstrous Leo Kottke instrumental called Busted Bicycle. It's one of his most driving tunes. It is in open C tuning. Within the first ten seconds of the tune, the crowd went wild.
At the end of that tune, everyone was screaming with joy. There were people actually standing on the tables cheering. I then played one of my tunes, that was an equally driving song on which I used the bottleneck slide.
The crowd was so enthusiastic, I actually saw beer bottles and pitchers being smashed on the tables.
From that point on, whenever I went to The Central on Tuesday nights, I was guaranteed a spot on stage.
Last edited by Rudy on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got love? Give love.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

Nice Rudy!

One question though, are any of your live gigs captured on the Rudy Harley CD collection?

Chuck
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Chuck, there is indeed a bootleg CD of Rudy Harley live. You will receive it someday soon.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

An interesting thing happened today. Danno brought me two boxes of computer devices to see if I could use any of them. The only one I could make use of is an external 80 gig hard drive.
It is an iomega. It took me an hour and a half to download the driver for it. I now realize that it was worth it. None of the files were erased on the drive.
I have been looking at all the pics on it. Soon I will post many photos of Danno's metal artwork.
I did happen upon some pics that deserve to go on this thread. Here is one of Danno and I having fun with accordions. There are more of these. It took me a while to figure out how to get them in a file. I just got this one for now.
I will have tons of pics of Danno's metal works posted soon, as well.

Got love? Give love.