Crown "Post Office"

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dudley

Crown "Post Office"

Post by Dudley »

I ran across something interesting today. It is a Crown that was supposedly built for the Postal Service (to their specs) to be used as a mobile Post Office in sparsely populated areas. It has a raised roof full length, almost no windows, and a side door on each side at about the mid point of the bus. It has a 220 Cummins and I think a 10 speed. I did not have my camera with me and it started pouring rain so I will try to get back there in a few days for pics and more info. Can anyone shed any light on this unit? I belive it was built in the 70s.
Thanks
Bill Gerrard
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Dudley

Crown "Post Office" update

Post by Dudley »

From busskids page:

"Crown was also building highway post office trucks for use by postal contractors. Single- and tandem-axle versions, in 35- and 40-foot lengths, respectively, were built. These had the usual Crown front grafted onto a rectangular body"

New info,
1966 Crown HPO (Highway post office)
35'
7'-3"" interior headroom
Air ride suspension
Baseboard heating
143 gallon S/S fuel tank
5 speed trans

Pics Coming !!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Crown made quite a few specialty buses. About the closest thing I've got is this 20-passenger combination bus with 20 feet of mail and cargo space, built in 1956 and operated for several years by the highway division of the Bangor & Aroostook Railroad.

From the "More Crowns" page

I did manage to find a grainy photo of the "Highway Post Office" Crown coach in Ed Hass's "Crown Firecoach History". I'll have to plug in the scanner later and see if I can get a good scan of it...
Dudley

Post Office

Post by Dudley »

I am fighting with my computer tonight but here is one picture, More to come soon

GOD BLESS AMERICA