More ways to heat tiny houses/spaces ...

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

GoodClue

More ways to heat tiny houses/spaces ...

Post by GoodClue »

A link to Tiny Houses heating solultions ... some we know about, some are new, like the tiny soapstone gas heater ...

http://tinyhouseblog.com/heaters/tinyhouseheat/

Prices for the dickinson propane fireplace are much lower than posted ... this is my favorite so far ...

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=20009F

My only question, besides the price, on the soapstone tiny cottage would be on how vibrations of a moving vehicle might affect the soapstone material. My experience with replacing soapstone wood stoves show wear cracking in a stable house setting.

Also, on eBay ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shipmate-Skippy-Boa ... 1169wt_906

or go to the shipmate website:

http://www.shipmatestove.com/Results.cfm?category=6

I use my wood stove, cast iron, similar to a Jotul, but can over heat ... kind of fun to open doors during a blizzard ... I like the idea of having several options for varying conditions ... I will build a steel unit in the future ... and always nice to see the flames :wink:

GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

The only problem with the little stoves is that it's hard to get any real btu's out of them. I have an old Skippy in black iron and a tiny tot also in black iron and they just didn't put out enough heat. I think they would be much better in a van maybe. I do like the little soapstone one though. I think the jotul is a pretty good size for mid to full size bus if your parked in the bad snowie weather.

PS: The little are not cheap, I think I 250 for the one and 300 for the other
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
splummer

Post by splummer »

i dont need tiny. i need something that will heat my shop and garage area.at present i use an old kerr wood furnace ,takes a long time to heat up and uses a ton of wood
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
GoodClue

stoves

Post by GoodClue »

Steve ... I found these simple to make barrel stoves work great ...

NOTE: burn off any paint outside, wire wheel brush to bare metal. First firing outside to get rid of residue ...

I'd cut the barrel bottom out, raise it to the second ring or bottom third of the barrel, tack weld in, lay refractory cement then sand on the bottom.
I used the air cutouts from the base to build a smoke shelf/deflector below the stovepipe inside the stove ... used a flue damper in the stovepipe ...
Cut the bottom of door out, weld a simple hinge, then cut out the rest of the door ... a simple sliding tab as a latch ... used section of old motorcycle chain for the handle ...

Kept the shop in the pic toasty at 2400 square feet ... to make more efficient, set ceramic tiles or thick steel plate on the top, stores heat and forces more out the sides ... can cook on the flat top ... I built dozens, used them in saunas at the ranches I caretook ... once other ranchers saw them they wanted several ... :wink:
"ya gotta have art ..."
splummer

Post by splummer »

doug ,i forgot all about making a barrel stove, my friend had one in his shop and cold it wasnt, thanks for the idea, will be making one this week and moving the kerr out
they heat real fast ,also will take a long piece of wood,now i have something to do ,lol
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
yugogypsy

More ways to heat tiny houses/spaces

Post by yugogypsy »

I don't even know what make my stove is, but if it can keep a 660 sq. ft. house comfortably warm, it's going to be plenty warm in the bus when I move it back out there, after I get a new heater for the house-gotta have wood in winter, oil furnace just doesn't cut it in this drafty shack.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

More ways to heat tiny houses/spaces

Post by yugogypsy »

My stove is an H.C.I. formerly made in Portland Ore. There are very few around, but its in good shape, just needs a little TLC and a door seal to make it more efficient.

Currently we have to stoke it about every hour, even with it dampered right down.

LOL :lol: After I get Pit Stop Cleaned and weatherproofed, that stove is the first thing that's going into place, where the drivers seat was, with the stove-pipe going straight up through the roof for the best draw possible, it smokes like heck in the house because we have 2 elbows on it to get it to the chimney.

I want to work in a warm bus and that stove will definitely do the job :)

Lois

PS, when do I get to hang around the right side up, all the blood is rushing to my head here Mr. Sharkey
Bash On Regardless!
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

Look at thermal mass rocket stoves. They use much less wood and make very little smoke. I'm making one for my bus. I'll tell you how it works but these are all over youtube. I had to modify the design for a vehicle but I think it will work.