This may be my rolling summer place

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Hi,
I lived in the older version of this in Iraq. I have a turbo for the one in the picture. Basically they are junk. The government didn't give the Iraqis any of these, just the older ones. These never lasted. You can't dumb down a duece, to the most basic level for idiots. The idiots need to ride on the bench fold down in the box and the smart people drive the duece. The A3 marks the crossover from the old army to the "new" army. It didn't work out.
You could drive it home, just get an army black beret, army T shirt, and top. Just wave at people and act like you know what you are doing. Who is going to stop an army truck? It'd be different if it were a tank, but a duece is ubiqutious. Just check with the gate when you go in to get the truck. If the fort needs an army truck to be dispatched, the wear civilian clothes when you leave with it and have your paperwork in hand. Its not the Army's responsibility when you roll out the gate onto civilian highways with a truck you own. Once out the gate, if you are in what appears to be a uniform, the civilians will wave furiously and leave you to your own devices. The only hitch is fuel. Army trucks don't buy civilian fuel, so you have bring cans.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Interesting info. What way junk: Body enclosure, running gear, frame, engine/mechanicals? On looking at the pics more closely, the right front appears flat; hmmm... driven onto lot? Must have been a few years back. <g> Wonder if it runs - doesn't say so. Maybe it's one of those that got "dusted" by the good Iraqui dirt...

Like your philosophy of conveyence; have to remember that. Good point about the fuel.

Rufus
splummer

Post by splummer »

rlaggren wrote:Interesting info. What way junk: Body enclosure, running gear, frame, engine/mechanicals? On looking at the pics more closely, the right front appears flat; hmmm... driven onto lot? Must have been a few years back. <g> Wonder if it runs - doesn't say so. Maybe it's one of those that got "dusted" by the good Iraqui dirt...

Like your philosophy of conveyence; have to remember that. Good point about the fuel.

Rufus
when bidding thru g l ,know what you are bidding on, have someone go and do close inspection before bidding, what youbid ,may not what you end up with, i have known people who gotten burned and known people who got a good truck thru g l. my dueces came from a private sale and had the chance to test drive it before i bought them .who knows the history on them, its a gamble.
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

OOPS!
Sorry about that totally unsupported opinion there....I never saw M35A1s, A2s, or the 44 series stay in the junk yards. The M35A3 series where they retro fitted the Cat engine in the old bodies, those were stacked in the junk piles.
The A1s and A2s were too simple to screw up. They had manual gearboxes and multifuel 120hp engines, the venerable LDS 465. If you drove it less then 50mph, say 40mph, you could squeeze 8 to 10 mpg out of them, even better off-road. The LDS 465 was a military standard engine, with a guranteed # of hours you'd get out of that engine if it's pump wasn't jacked and the engine over revved. If you followed the manual specifically, the truck would out last you, with minimal maintenence.
A3s were an attempt to try and bring the deuce into the modern age, by inserting a faster higher horsepower commercial engine into the old body. If you think a deuce was drafty at 40mph, try 70mph on the autobahn! The automatic trans, is an attempt to allow the moronics to operate a combat vehicle. Perhaps its okay, but I have been up against other "automatics" in trucks and the old A2 will always take the mud hole all the way across!
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

The cool thing that you noticed in the picture was that the truck comes with automatic in-cab tire deflation or inflation. You could air down for some particularly nasty mud and then air back up for the pavement, all without having to open a sponson box and get out the air hose. What you see in the picture is the air leaked out of the seal and the tire went flat. Start the truck and the tire will fill automatically.
DF
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> Start the truck and the tire will fill automatically.

Now _that_ is spooky weird! Kinda like watching a dead body get up and walk. <g>
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> when buying...

Yeah, good philosophy.

I've never bought anything from the gvmt; figure it would take me at least a week to sort through all the rules and then another week to find which auction had what I wanted (as opposed to everything else from toilets to tanks that I don't want) and then figure out _where_ the damn thing actually was stashed and how to get in and look at it. I think you gotta know a lot of letters and have some experience inside the system to have a clue - and I don't. So despite the possbilities, I doubt I'd try to buy from the feds. The local variants (city, county, maybe state) and the big private entities (utilities, schools) are more likely to have the stuff physically close so that at least limits where the object might be found and maybe reduces the paper work some.

Looks like a learning curve and then a familiarization curve before you can have any realistic expectations. Don't know if I'll go there.

Rufus
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

'57 Caddy El Dorado had an air suspension that would pump up kind of like that and raise the car like it was coming back from the dead. Also strange.

Friend told me today that he just bought a 1/2 ton trailer from that govliquidation site. He is not sure what to expect, but it is in Okla City and he is excited about it. Will post any feedback I get on the experience.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

The good thing about buying government surplus is, that you have a choice this time, unlike the first time when it was extracted from your taxes.

I needed to replace the badly worn tires for my army truck. I was able to get some from Government Liquidation back in may. I only needed 4 tires but I bought 16, then sold 12. After the profit my set was paid for.

I didn't know what to expect, so all I was willing to gamble on was 16 tires. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a lot more. It was trouble free.

Here are some photos of the booty in the back of my 57' Crown.
William Biffwinkle

Post by William Biffwinkle »

Chuck...I need two of those for my Honda shadow....
You cannot make a sow's ear out of a silk purse either.....but has anyone really tried to do both?

now heer in biffwinkleville we make deep fried DEEserts outa sows ears......an thayr ain't nuthin' stoopider lookin' than'n earless pig....
dburt

Post by dburt »

Where did you say the Crown was parked?? :twisted:
I need some new tires for my deuce and a half! :lol:
splummer

Post by splummer »

iam sure you got a good deal on the tires . there are some good deals out there on g l. .i have gotten a few things thru gl , at a good price, i only had a long wait to get cleared and did some traveling to get them , but it was worth it.,i also could use some tires for my duece
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

These tires are too small for a deuce. The size of these tires is 11.00Rx16. This size is a little hard to find anymore. Unless you want to pay retail which is about $450.00 each.

The bigger ones, 14.00x20 or 16.00x20 will fit on the deuce, but you might need the wider rims, the super singles. The bigger tires are easier to find at the surplus sales.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Im thinkin about headed for tx around christmas

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: Im thinkin about headed for tx around christmas

Post by stuartcnz »

Wasn't that one posted here awhile back?