Building in the "Buff" ?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Building in the "Buff" ?

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

After some real thought I've decided not to remove the floor in my
4905. What I am going to do is reinforce the outer edge with stainless
plate and put a new layer of ¾" T&G plywood over the whole deck. I will
rebolt the bay door hinges through the stainless plate and new deck
then router out the bottom of the hardwood flooring to go over whatever
bolt heads that are above the stainless plate and plywood deck. I will
be using Jatoba ( Brazilian cherry ) to make up the new flooring, It's
really nice stuff and hard as a rock. As for insulating the floor, I
have decided to do it from under in the baggage bays because I am going
to insulate and heat them anyway. Well, Thats all for now. I will post
pics as I go.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Building in the bus?

Hello folks

Later today I am go to shot my 4905 Buffalo with Tiger foam. Tiger foam is a fire rated spray foam that is an R-7 per inch. I'm doing an inch and a half cavity and then next week I will apply 1/2" plywood strip air space then I'm raping the intire inside of the bus with a product called Prodex ( taping all seams ) Prodex is a 1/4" foam type insulation rapped in foil that used with a 1/2" air space and taped seams will be an R-14.7. Now, Down the road when I get the inside outer walls done I am going to spray the inside ( walls floor and ceiling ) with a paint called Superthrem. It's a ceramic insulating paint that by applying a good coat both inside and outside will give the bus/home an R-28 all by it self. I will wait until the spring to apply the outer coat. So I'm thinking that between the Tiger foam, the Prodex and the Supertherm paint I should have a pretty warm or cool bus/home :shock: Well, Thats all for now, I will kep you posted on how it goes with the spray.
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Spray foam is done

Hello again folks

OK, This foam shoting thing. It's pretty easy to do. It's a really messy job but easy. It took 2 600 board foo kits to do the job and I ad eough o go back over to fill any thin spots. It's really heavy on the vapor. I used protective glasses and a resporater and I seem to be having a little trouble seeing. Im a little worried about that but if it doesn't clear up in a couple of days I will head to the doctor and see what he thinks. Im kind of looking through a light haze :cry: so if you use this stuff look out for the heavy vapor. It doesn't seem to do much for sound but I should have about an R-10 with the 1 1/2". Next is the big clean up. Lots of cutting of the extra foam away to reshape the inside of the bus. Then fer out the walls with 1/2" plywood strips and the next layer of insulation and then finished walls. What have you folks use for your finished walls and ceilings? Well thats it for now, Maybe with some rest will feel and seebetter.

Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y. :cry:
Peace along the way
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Dennis, if you read this, contact a poison control center immediately!!! There should be a toll-free number printed on the packages that the product came in. Seriously, this is nothing to fool around with, waiting may cause any effects you are experiencing to worsen or become permanent. Lets us know how you are doing when you are able.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Foam vapor

Hi folks

WOW! The vapor from the Tiger foam is some nasty stuff. Im still seeing through fog but not as bad, but this is 2 days later. Because I haven't been to a doctor since I was a kid I had a hard time finding a doctor who would take me as a "new" patiant but I found one for fridayHow wird is that. But anyway I called the poison control people and they looked up first the foam it self and then all of it's parts and found that there has been problems in the past with the foam company workers having "smokey" vision but found no remidy for it. They said to drink lots of milk and water and see a doctor asap. I know I must have absorbed alot of the vapor cuz I have a matalic taest in my mouth so it aint good. however I do feel and see a little better. I'll know more after I see the doctor on friday. OK, The good news is I took the bus out for a pretty long ride today and she is alot cooler and quiter then before. I got lots of cutting the extra foam and cleanup to do. Im sure that the foam was the worst job and all the rest of the work should be much more fun. I really like livin in the my skoolie/home but the Buffalo is going to be great when she done.
Peace along the way
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

Hi Denis. Glad to hear your doing better. Are you posting photo's of your progress anywhere? I'd love to see what you have accomplished. -Richard
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Visin?

I can see! :shock: I can see! :shock: Good God oh mity! I can see! :shock:
Wow, That was scary. Going back to the Dr. next Thursday for a follow up. I will Try to post some pics some times this week.
Peace along the way