Housetruck

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dudley

Housetruck

Post by Dudley »

Thank you Sharkey, pic posting advice is much appreciated!
There is quite a story to this house truck. It was built in New Mexico by a young couple who then drove it as far as the Verde Valley (Cottonwood,AZ) where they lost the engine in it. After scrounging around for an engine they found this Peterbuilt. I do not remember what the original truck was (but I will find out) but it was not a Pete. For whatever reason they decided to chop the old truck off behind the cab and graft the Pete on. If you look in the picture you can see that they had to cut the cab roof off the Pete to get it under the house. The whole time that they were performing this graft they were living in the house, adding little things (like kids) here and there. Finally the big day came and it was time to leave the Valley. Well guess what. All roads out of Cottonwood take you up a mountain. The old Pete just did not have enough power to get them out of the Valley. They were at their wits end and out of money and patience so they just parked it again and got jobs locally. Not long after that the husband took sick and sadly passed away. His wife sold the house to a local fella (the current owner) who towed it up the hill to his place in Jerome. Then the wife took the kids and went back to New Mexico. They make a pilgrimage to the truck every year or two to pay their respects and recall memories.

I hope that this was not too long winded, I just thought it was a sad but nice story. (thank God for spellcheck!)

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Too long winded? Naw, that's the whole purpose of this forum, to get the stories and photos out where they can be seen! Good work!
Forgottenhighway

Post by Forgottenhighway »

Dudley,
Thanks for posting the pictures of the old trucks and busses.The story on the Pete housetruck kind of tugged on the old heartstrings...hope the family finds comfort in their annual pilgrimage. The Gold King mine looks like quite a place, we plan on visiting on one of our trips.
Mr. Robinsons "The other woman" sounds great with straight pipes.

Cheers, Pat
Dudley

The other woman

Post by Dudley »

This is a picture that I "tweaked" a little bit.

http://i3.tinypic.com/xm0ubb.jpg

Pat,
How do you know Don ? Yes the mine is quite a place.

PS
This truck (The other Woman) was clocked at 140 mph at Riverside Raceway. Not this Pete Housetruck.
GOD BLESS AMERICA