Help! I think I might by a second vintage bus.

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

captainkf

Help! I think I might by a second vintage bus.

Post by captainkf »

Well, over coffee this morning I came across a 1961 western flyer coach for sale for $2000.00. This is a picture of the style of bus it is http://busexplorer.com/PHP/MidPage.php?id=954

It is 38' long, 6 cylinder chev diesel pusher with a 5 spd transmission. It was ran by greyhound on a winter route between the north west territories and saskatchewan, then auctioned 10 years ago. The owner left it sitting for 10 years driving it very little. He sold it last year to a man who planned on converting it and turning it into a rental property in a small town in the praries. With an ailing father, he has decided to sell it. It has a new dometic fridge, 4 burner stove with oven, toilet, tanks and other stuff. The bus has an aluminum body so should have little rust and large under bus storage which would be nice.

It needs new rubber, a few peices of glass replaced (flat), and possibly some wiring updates as it can only be started from the engine compartment and needs a new battery. It has new brake linings and starter. He claims it does not leak.

The catch is, I think I could convice my wife to support me in buying it if I agree to sell our skoolie.

So, I need some help before I see it this weekend.

Can anyone help narrow down what kind of drivetrain it has? What should I be looking for when I see it as big red flags? If we decide to go ahead I will have a garage do an inspection on it before we buy.

What do you all think? I have always wanted a vintage bus like a flexible or a crown so this meets my coolness requirments. However the idea of starting over after having just gotten my other bus almost finished is a bit sad. I don't have much disposable income right now as we are buying a house and moving to BC in the next two monthes. I am a bit leary of getting into a money pit.

As you can see I am very excited by the idea of this new addition to the family.

Can't wait to hear from you all.

-Richard
Dj

Post by Dj »

The others will certainly have more valid info to your points.

I just wanted to say, if it's been a winter runner, and 40+ yrs old, you're likely to find some unmitigated rust... that would certainly need to be tended to, and could be a bigger project than you'd want.

The other problem would be parts, I'd reckon... since there were likely far more PD-model GM's built, you can still find a lot of parts. Who knows where you'd find parts for an old WF?

I did, however, see an old late 40's or early 50's flyer on ebay a few years back that was very well kept, even the undercarriage looked like you could eat off of it. The engine bay looked spic and span, and the interior work was right up my alley. It even had a wood burning stove!

Alas, I had insufficient funds and inadequate credit to handle such a 'frivolous' and old purchase, and it slipped out of my grasp. It had listed two or three times before it disappeared, and I never got an answer as to whether it sold or the seller just gave up trying.

As I recall, the price was reasonable... but I kept coming back to the parts question during my "what if" daydreams...
captainkf

Bus update

Post by captainkf »

So, we went and looked at the bus. It is a p-41 canuck. Great lines, aluminum skin and a closed in underbelly. It was converted some time ago and shows it. The "new" fridge and other appliances were new when I was watching sesame street as kid. There was a fair amount of damage to the skin with dents and such. Most of the windows are broken and the tires are shot. It would be a great project for someone with the time, space and $$$. However we have decided to pass on the bus and keep our skoolie. It's in too good of shape mechanically and the conversion is done. I think I'll put the money into new tanks, insulated container and some good used 10 22r tires. Thanks for help all!

-Richard
Navservice

Post by Navservice »

Hi, I feel your apprehension. I worried after I committed to buy my bus and worried more after I saw it. I still don't know what I want to do with it. If I decide to sell it I'll let you know first.

Miles in Kingman